This ceremony of commemoration and wreath-laying at the Irish National War Memorial is arranged and led by the Royal British Legion Republic of Ireland District with the co-operation and assistance of the Irish State. This major Somme time event commemorates all those who lost their lives in the two World Wars, in particular the estimated 60,000 Irish men and women from all parts of the Ireland who served and died in those conflicts. Representation from all parts and traditions of the Island of Ireland is a key feature.
The ceremony will commence at 12.30 pm with a colourful parade of the standards of Royal British Legion, regimental, ex-services organisations and commemorative associations. This is followed by an ecumenical service of remembrance, recitals and music and the laying of official wreaths by government and civic leaders from Ireland and Northern Ireland, members of the Diplomatic Corps, Service and veterans representatives.
Participation in the wreath laying by all communities is encouraged.
Music will be provided jointly by bands of the Irish Defence Forces and the Royal Irish Regiment (tbc).
Information for Guests
Thank you for registering to attend the Annual RBL-ROI Commemoration and Wreath Laying at the Irish National War Memorial Park, Islandbridge, Dublin 8. The information below should assist you in planning your attendence and ensure that the event runs as smoothly as possible. If you have any further queries, or any special access requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please arrange to arrive at Islandbridge at by 12 noon and bring a printed or e-copy of your ticket with you. Stewards will be on hand to direct you to seating. Guests should be seated in the Arena no later than 12.20pm. A commemorative booklet will be offered on arrival which will include details of the ceremony.
Given the solemn nature of the commemorative ceremony, suitable attire is requested of all guests – business attire or smart casual is recommended. Official decorations and medals may be worn. This is an outdoor event on grass and guests are asked to be mindful of weather conditions and dress accordingly.
Organisations – If you wish to lay a wreath on behalf of an organisation which you officially represent please register your intention in advance by emailing email@example.com giving the name of your organisation, your name, official position and contact details.
Personal/family wreaths or dedications – There will be an opportunity for personal dedications following the official wreath laying. Commemorative crosses and other items will be available at the event for a small donation. Please email the Organisers if you wish to order a poppy wreath in advance.
Poppy wreaths and other items may also be obtained from the Royal Brtish Legion, 19 Molesworth St, Dublin 2.
The sole access to the event for approved vehicles and pedestrians is via the South Circular Road. The Con Colbert Road gate will be closed to pedestrians.
Due to the large number of official persons attending this ceremony Guests are advised that the entrance may be subject to congestion.
Cars and Coaches: There is limited vehicular access and parking within the memorial park grounds. There is also a large pay & display car park at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, entering from Military Road. On Google maps, you should search for IMMA. The walk to the INWM park entrance is around 10 minutes via Kilmainham Gate.
Public Transport: Bus route 69 from Fleet St stops opposite the event entrance at Clancy Barracks (SCR). Routes 25, 26, 66, 66a, 66b, 67 stop on Conyngham Road, just a 5-minute walk via the South Circular Road to the entrance.
Luas Red Line stop at Hueston Station – is a 15/20-minute walk to the South Circular Road entrance.
If arriving by taxi it is recommended that you alight at the South Circular Road.
Your co-operation with security personnel at all times would be appreciated. An Garda Síochána has confirmed the following arrangements for security: Guests should be able to produce a form of identification, either a passport, National ID card or a driving licence with photograph. Mobile phones should be set to silent operation during the ceremony. While you are waiting for the ceremony to begin at 12.30pm you are welcome to look around the war memorial site. All guests should be in their seats by 12.20pm, in readiness for the ceremony beginning at 12.30pm.
After the ceremony light refreshments will be provided at the Memorial Park site.
Toilet facilities will be provided on site.
Donations in support of the event are welcome.
Rules, Terms and Conditions
1. For the purposes of the below information, “Organiser” refers to the Royal British Legion-Republic of Ireland. “Ticket-holder” refers to guests attending the ceremony.
2. The Organiser reserves the right to refuse anyone entry to the event at their absolute discretion, and any person who fails to comply with instructions from an official steward or other person acting on behalf of the event Organisers may be refused entry or ejected.
3. Vehicles and their contents parked on site or at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham car park are entirely at the owner’s risk.
4. The Organisers reserve the right to search all persons and personal property and refuse admission to, or eject from the event, any person who refuses to be searched by an official steward or a member of An Garda Síochána; or other person acting on their behalf.
5. No alcohol is permitted to be taken into the event. Strictly no illegal substances will be permitted. There will be a strict no smoking policy within the Commemorative Arena section of the park.
6. A strict dress code will apply to all ticket-holders. The wearing of uniforms, insignia, emblems and costumes (with exception of serving military, ex-service personnel, recognised first aid and emergency services) is prohibited and musical instruments are not permitted at the event.
7. Animals other than official guide dogs are not permitted in the arena.
8. Media will be present at the ceremony. Ticket-holders give their consent to their actual or simulated likeness being used in broadcast or print images.
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Get tickets for this event on: EventBrite.